Monday, November 28, 2011

Nancy Jardine Gets Interviewed!

Poor Nancy subjected herself to an interview for Tattered Pages, and what a trouper for answering all of my questions -- not to mention she brought us a fabulous excerpt from Monogomy Twist!

Thanks for being with us today Nancy! To start things off, tell us how your writing career began.  

What I call my ‘personal’ writing career has happened in fits and starts. In 1999, a contemporary romance went to Harlequin. A big fat rejection ensued…I abandoned romance writing.  In 2003 a children’s novel (Romans in Scotland AD 83) was written, but was abandoned since a current archaeological dig was uncovering new facts…that ms went on the back burner! During late 2010 I got serious about my WRITING FOR PLEASURE. I reduced my teaching to 3 days per week. On ‘free’ days I wrote a historical romance: sadly it has been rejected twice. :-(  By Dec 2010 I had also completed a new contemporary romance. I sent it to TWRP and by beg. March 2011 I signed a contract for ‘Monogamy Twist’! In Jan 2011 I did a complete rework of the archived novel for children. That full manuscript is currently being considered by a publisher in Cambridge, England.

How cool are YOU! Romance AND a children's book! Bravo! So, while writing in the romance genre, do you stick to one sub-genre or write across lines?

No, I don’t stick to one sub-genre. I’ve completed two contemporary romances, (1 published, a 2nd recently contracted by TWRP) and one completed/ reworked historical romance. (I now think it’s much better than the rejected version!) My current WIP is another contemporary, but I have also started a family saga historical.

So, you've got a ton of projects in the hopper. Of the romances mentioned, what heat level are they? And while I'm at it, what heat level to you prefer to read? Are we keeping that bedroom door open or closed?

My TWRP published ‘Monogamy Twist’ is categorized as sensual. My niece-in-law, however, called it her ‘favorite bonkbuster’. My friend (since age 7) almost had a heart-attack when she read the sexy bits! My second TWRP Champagne Rose will probably also be rated sensual…but watch that space, it might be called spicy! Spicy is about my limit in both reading, and writing.    

Give it to me Spicy! A girl after my own heart. So tell us, of the characters you created, which one is your favorite and why?

I really like Nairn in the newest TWRP contracted novel (not sure what the title will be yet). He has a lot of s*** heaped upon him at the beginning, but he resolves it in his (I personally believe) uniquely undaunted style. Sorry! No more sneak peaks of that plot!   

DANG! You had me all frothing at the mouth there. I assume since you've got so many contracts out right now your super-busy. But have you ever considered self-publication as an alternative to traditional publishing?

How about a NO, and also MAYBE in around 5 years for my own novels if I have a stack written by then! Confusing? Well, I’m such a sucker! I’ve had my fingers burned already over self-publishing of my writing, but in a very different sort of way, for it was not novel writing. If profit from book sales is the main aim then I’ve a whole other self-publishing story to tell…if you’ve time to read it!  I self-published years ago but for TOTALLY NON-PROFIT reasons (I’m cringing now!) In 1999 during my summer vacation of 6 weeks I volunteered to personally research/write/and create 50 packs of teaching materials for a special Millennium 2000 non-profit project commemorating my local Railway Locomotive Works (1898-1969). Each pack had 100 ‘letter sized’ photocopiable worksheets, all 5000 sheets physically printed and bound by me. Would you call that self-published?  (BTW each pack also contained a CD Rom version-techie help from hubby with creating 50 of them-and a cassette tape of ex-workers ‘oral’ memories.) I loved doing it all but vowed I’d NEVER self publish again. By then I was regretting the NO PAY deal I’d agreed on since it was for ‘charity’. BUT GUESS WHAT?  I was wrong about the NEVER. My 2005 summer vacation was spent writing my ‘History of Kintore School’. Again I’d volunteered, and there was no profit to me since it was for the village I live in and the school where I was teaching. (The School Fund got all the profit.) Lots of historical research was involved since the village school can be dated back to around 1506. I’m not joking, there’s evidence for this, and I had fun finding it! I self-edited the 100 letter sized pages; my hubby proof read. Again sort of self-publishing? NOSTALGIA RULED since the school had just moved to a brand new school building. I used the official opening day as the marketing target-400 copies were sold, but I truly was thankful that the school authority had helped to print and bind it. After that I said I’d NEVER EVER ‘self-publish’ again for no personal profit. Can I use these two projects as evidence of previous writing and publishing when I send out query letters to publishers for my current novels? Not really, since there was no ‘company’ as such who produced them! So self-publishing my own novels…in a few years…MAYBE.

Uhhh...Holy crap? Wow. This makes every other story I've heard about self-publishing seem like a stroll in the park. Determination does not seem to be your downfall, Nancy. That being said, what are you working on now?

My main WIP is a contemporary started late Sept. 2011, set in different European locations. Like my ‘Monogamy Twist’ this current work is a bit of a ‘history mystery’ (my working title). I have also plotted out, and tentatively started a family saga historical.

And after finishing this manuscript, will you take some time off or dive right in to the next story?

I usually promise myself a few days off to sort out all those little jobs that have been neglected. However, I’m not too good at managing that.

LOL Me either. Tell us what's on your nightstand (or downloaded onto your Kindle) right now.

Right Name/Wrong Man by Mona Risk, the MacLomanin series x4, A Broken Crhistmas and Cursted to kill both by Claire Ashgrove- await me on my Kindle and Adobe...and 4, early released to book club member, Harlequin Historicals in paperback (I get x 8 Harlequins a mongh now-used to get x16 but haven't the time to read them any more!)

Now for some fun stuff...

Which Superhero would you most love to date and why?

I tell you at my age and stage…any big hunk would do. I prefer not to tell you the why!

Oh pooh. Fine. Does your husband read your work, and if so, what’s his reaction?

He proof read my children’s novel quite happily, but I think he’s too scared to read my romances, though he says he’ll get around to them when he’s finished studying for his Masters Degree!

Favorite cocktail?

I love most liqueurs; most cocktails. My favorites had no real names but were produced at a hotel beach bar at the Al Bustan Palace, in Oman. I got to know the barman at the 4-7pm slot pretty well and he created me something new each evening. I’d pick whatever took my fancy that evening eg Aurum, Cointreau, Baileys, Kahlua, Tia Maria, Coconut rum…After my first choice he’d pick more items to add to my ‘base’, he shook ‘em all up, and they were FABULOUS!

That's totally cool! Got any hobbies you'd like to share with us?

Err. Don’t seem to have time. Reading: if I don’t do some leisure reading in a day (escapist novels) I go to bed feeling deprived. Gardening: which I avoid at times, but have to do as I’m the sole caretaker of our large garden.  Ancestry:  I’ve researched the Family Trees back to the 1600s. I now have 5 huge binders of details and use an on-line Ancestry program that takes up loads of my time!

That sounds like plenty of hobbies to me!! LOL What about pets?

If you don’t count my lovely husband when he’s three sheets to the wind? No, I don’t have any pets.

You're too funny, Nancy. Thanks so much for sharing with us all the special things that make you who you are!! And now (can I get a drum roll, please), on to Nancy's latest release, Monogomy Twist!


Excerpt:

“Rhia!” he snorted instead. “Of course it will. How could I ignore such a valuable property?”
Rejection and then disappointment flashed across her lovely face before she answered, “You’ve lost me.” Her gaze drew away. “Do you want it or not?”
“Rhia, please take heed,” Luke sighed, his voice enticing her to turn back. He didn’t dare touch her. And he did want it…but knew that wasn’t what she meant. He didn’t dare use his fingertips to turn her delectable little chin toward him, for he knew one fingering would never be enough. “It would be a crying shame to leave that house to rot for another fifty years. It’s a valuable house and valuable land. It could be converted to multiple uses for corporate business, or as a hotel facility.”
“Ah…future revenues?” Her eyes held that astutely impressive derision again.
His face crept closer, his lips only a pout away. “Rhia, you wouldn’t want to be responsible for that house to fall into even more disrepair, that house you’ve already professed to love? Would you?”
She was floundering like a non-swimmer in a forest puddle, indecision hovering over her gorgeous eyes. He was confident she couldn’t resist him. His libido kicked in triple time, but his resolve quadrupled.
“Would you want that on your conscience? Knowing it was your fault it happened?”
My fault?”
He knew his propinquity was keeping her spellbound, but by her glower she wasn’t taking the flack. Her disgusted expression informed him in no uncertain terms what she thought about his last words.

You can find Monogomy Twist at The Wild Rose Press, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble

Here's a bit more about Nancy, and where to find her on the web:

Born in Glasgow, Nancy has lived in Scotland most of her life with the exception of 3 years when she lived in Holland, where she conveniently gave birth to 2 daughters. Convenient since elementary teaching was her profession (11-12year olds) and it was suitable to have a career break then. (Two months in Norway when the girls were under 5 doesn’t really count in the grand scheme of living in a country!) Nancy now spends her time writing contemporary romance novels having only recently given up teaching.

 




Blurb:

Luke Salieri thought he'd seen everything. But when he inherits a dilapidated English estate from a woman he's never heard of—and with quirky conditions besides—it’s a mystery he wants resolved immediately. There must be a woman out there who can meet his needs. But how far will he have to go to persuade her? Lucrative employment for a whole year? The job of researching the old house and its fantastic contents is enticing – but Rhia Ashton can’t see herself living with gorgeous Luke Salieri and not wanting his body as well. Can she live and sleep with him for a whole year and then walk away? Rhia has her own ideas about what will make it worth her while.

11 comments:

Nancy Jardine Author said...

Morning AJ. Wow, did I answer all that? Nice to be with you today. I'll be popping in an out for a while. See you!

Lynn Chantale said...

Hello ladies. Great interview.
Every time I visit AJ's blog I find a new book I must have. I know what I'm asking Santa for Christmas.

Congrats Nancy on the new release.

AJ Nuest said...

Hey Y'all! Not sure how much typing I'll be doing today. Got up, was washing the dishes and sliced my hand pretty bad. Grrr... Hello Monday morning!

I'm glad you're here with me today, Nancy! Love the interview!!

Calisa Rhose said...

Fun and interesting interview Nancy! I got a nice chuckle.

Thanks for bringing out the fun side AJ. :)

Nancy Jardine Author said...

Hello to Wlynnechantale and Calisa! Glad you enjoyed it. AJ, I hope your hand feels better and I'm glad I'm writing this AFTER I cut up the veggies for my chicken broth! Need a 'warm me up meal' later since it's a really windy cold day here today.

Lynne Marshall said...

Hi Nancy and AJ! It's always great to learn more about Wild Rose Press authors. Loved the interview and excerpt, and AJ, you manage to make these interviews very personal. I feel as though I know Nancy a bit better now, even though she's all the way in Scotland and I'm here in California!

Nancy Jardine Author said...

Glad you dropped in Lynne, and AJ definitely has a knack for it! (She makes you want to divulge more than you think you did!)

Mackenzie Crowne said...

Gosh, Nancy.
It must be exhausting being you. I'm always impressed by women who can juggle so many balls and make it look easy. Love the excerpt and sharp dialog. My TBR list is busting out of the bookbag!

AJ, take it easy with those knives! Hope you heal quick.

Nancy Jardine Author said...

Thanks Mac! It all depends on the priorities at the time. Glad you dropped in.

(I'll take this opportunity to ask if you're okay AJ?)

AJ Nuest said...

Oy, what a day! The hand is sporting an obnoxious bandage, but at least the bleeding has stopped...that is, as long as I don't look cross-eyed at the darn thing. I'm so sorry I haven't been around more today, Nancy. I love all the comments, and you ladies are so sweet to say such nice things about the interview. Nancy is the best for answering all my questions!! Monogomy Twist is definitely getting added to my TBR list! The minute I get my Kindle, Amazon isn't going to know what hit them! Big hugs everyone, and thanks so much for stoppin by!!

Nancy Jardine Author said...

Thanks for having me on the 28th AJ (now 29th for me!) and best wishes for a speedy recovery. It's only when you lose the use of your fingers/hand you realise just how much you actually DO use it!
Slainthe!